Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 6, 2016

"Everything is all right."

I am currently reading the book "Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks. I came upon a passage that I thought was emotional and it moved me. I would like to share it.

Ray P. wrote to me after his father died at the age of eighty five, following a heart operation. Although Ray had rushed to the hospital, his father had already lapsed into a coma. An hour before his father died, Ray whispered to him: 'Dad, it's Ray. I'll take care of mom. Don't worry, everything is going to be alright.' A few nights later, Ray wrote, he was awakened by an apparition:

'I awoke in the night. I did not feel groggy or disoriented and my thoughts and vision were clear. I saw someone sitting on the corner of my bed. It was my Dad, wearing his khaki slacks and tan polo shirt. I was lucid enough to wonder initially if this could be a dream but I was certainly awake. He was opaque, not ethereal in any way, the nighttime Baltimore light pollution in the window behind him did not show through.He sat there for a moment and then said "Everything is all right."'

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me