Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Missing in action: Motivation


It's difficult to find yourself staying consistently motivated when working on a long-term complex task. I am currently working on a detailed drawing that is likely going to take over 50 hours of work to complete. On some evenings, I find myself lacking the motivation and energy to work on it. Recently, I stumbled upon a strategy that might be useful for other artists.

When I felt I didn't have the energy to draw, I looked at the uncompleted drawing and mentally mapped out which area within the drawing I would be working on during my next drawing session. Being specific like this and picking a goal for the night allowed me to not feel as overwhelmed.  It created a manageable and less daunting goal and this caused an uptick in much-needed motivation. I no longer dreaded sitting down and beginning the work because I had a clear goal with boundaries in sight.

This strategy can be applied to any sufficiently complex task that can be broken down into smaller and more specific pieces. It doesn't only apply in the context of making art. I am sure most people are familiar with the general idea of breaking down a large task into smaller chunks and working from there.  I suppose this advice had never truly clicked for me until very recently. I was aware of the strategy at an intellectual level but it had never resonated at an emotional level until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hark Triton, hark! Bellow, bid our father the Sea King rise from the depths full foul in his fury! Black waves teeming with salt foam to smother this young mouth with pungent slime, to choke ye, engorging your organs til' ye turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more - only when he, crowned in cockle shells with slitherin' tentacle tail and steaming beard take up his fell be-finned arm, his coral-tine trident screeches banshee-like in the tempest and plunges right through yer gullet, bursting ye - a bulging bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now and nothing for the harpies and the souls of dead sailors to peck and claw and feed upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite waters of the Dread Emperor himself - forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, forgotten even to the sea, for any stuff for part of Winslow, even any scantling of your soul is Winslow no more, but is now itself the sea!

About Me

My photo
The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right. -Vincent van Gogh