Monday, August 13, 2018

The power of titles



When looking at an artwork or a photo, does the title have much of an effect on you and how you view the piece? In the past, I hadn't put much thought into this but now I feel like it can be an important part of the work.

The reason I am thinking about this issue now is because of what happened to me this morning while I was browsing /r/cozyplaces on Reddit (great sub btw). I came upon a photo that didn’t seem particularly great or memorable but then the title is what changed my outlook and created an emotional connection that was not there when I initially viewed the photo without reading the title.

The photo in question titled "My hotel room in Japan (raining)" (originally shared by https://www.reddit.com/user/JankyJoker)




The key word I am referring to is the mention of rain in the title. Once I read that, I imagined rain and the sound it was likely making in that quiet room. I also imagined muffled sounds of thunder in the distance. It made the photo so much more immersive for me and all it took was that simple mention of rain.

I now wonder if this applies to artwork titles as well. Can an otherwise forgettable piece be made much more emotional with the use of a title that elicits additional emotions in the audience? I know that such a “trick” has its limits and it doesn’t apply in all situations but does it have potential for making art have more impact? I had never really thought about the importance of titles on the art I share but now I am going to be more conscious of creating meaningful titles if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hark Triton, hark! Bellow, bid our father the Sea King rise from the depths full foul in his fury! Black waves teeming with salt foam to smother this young mouth with pungent slime, to choke ye, engorging your organs til' ye turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more - only when he, crowned in cockle shells with slitherin' tentacle tail and steaming beard take up his fell be-finned arm, his coral-tine trident screeches banshee-like in the tempest and plunges right through yer gullet, bursting ye - a bulging bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now and nothing for the harpies and the souls of dead sailors to peck and claw and feed upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite waters of the Dread Emperor himself - forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, forgotten even to the sea, for any stuff for part of Winslow, even any scantling of your soul is Winslow no more, but is now itself the sea!

About Me

My photo
The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right. -Vincent van Gogh